Monday, April 13, 2009

Frank Elmer and Grace Jacobs: Turn the Hearts of the Children IV (preview)

Lynae paraded across the living room in the long white dress. "Was this your wedding dress, Mom?" she asked, already knowing full well that it was.
"It's so pretty. ;You were this skinny when you got married?"
Yep, 121 pounds. Hard to believe with these fifty extra pounds I've been carrying around. I am heaver now that when I was full term with any of my babies! And I've already lost about 25 pounds since last summer."
“Did you ever see your mother's wedding dress?”
“No she didn't really have one. She and Daddy were married at a justice of the peace in August, 1940.”
“Lot's of things seem to happen in August. We always have to go back to Dad's, school starts, Indians rebel and colonists return to Santa Fe twelve years later. "
Brent pretended to count casually on his fingers.
“School used to start after Labor Day and end before Memorial day the last of May. I don't know when they started beginning in August. I think when I was about your age, eighth or ninth grade.”
“You and Dad had a nice wedding didn’t you?”
“Yeah, simple but nice, in Mesa Arizona.”
“So Your parents were married in New Mexico, our parents in Arizona, and where was Grandpa Glen married?”
“Which time?”
“He was married more than once?”
“Three times, Mother was the third.”
“Oh, yeah, I remember you had a half sister and a half niece so you and
Aunt Marie together made a whole aunt.”
“And before Grandpa Jacobs, where were his parents married.
“I'd have to get out the genealogy books for any further back--they lived in San Antonio Texas, but that was after Daddy was born, so they came from South Dakota. Maybe they were married there. Let's look it up in Grandma Jacobs’ '"black book."
*********
[Monte's here with the two teen agers during an interaction with history and ancestors at Grace and Frank's wedding starting with story of her stamping her foot]

No comments:

Post a Comment