Monday, April 13, 2009

George Jacobs I trial:Turn the Hearts of the Children IV (preview)

Besides all the other changes Lynae had been equipped with braces before returning to school in the fall. "Well, at least when I meet kids at my new school, they won't all be saying "When did you get braces? And my gaps aren't so big now. I get so embarrassed when people would say, “You should get braces!” or “Why are your teeth so far apart?”
"Well, what I was more concerned with was your big old under bite."
`"Yeah, I can put my top and bottom teeth together now; I couldn't do that before look." Lynae demonstrated her new found skill.
“My favorite change is having a place to unpack my books that have been in boxes for five years and getting my wooden chest back--thank you for taking care of it.” (Mom tells the story of chest made from Great Grandma’s dining table brought west in wagon.)


Mom left the room to change the laundry as Monte entered from his bedroom with his purple McDonald shirt on and cap in his hand, ready to leave for a day’s work.. "Oh, hello Ronald--I mean Monte--where's your big old shoes?"
Monte gritted his teeth but his face turned red betraying his annoyance and Brent knew she had him going. She continued to push his buttons until Monte threatened to use his national wrestling tournament skills to settle the dispute. Mom walked in on the budding argument.
"Take it outside" she said--I'm not going to interfere,-but if you have to fight don't do it in the house.”
Brent raced for the stairs with Monte close behind. Lynae watched out the widow and cried, "Mom Monte will hurt him."
"I don't think so, I think they are just wrestling and having some fun. Boys do that instead of hugging sometimes."
The weather had changed suddenly as was so often the case during this El Nino anomalies year and it began to snow. Lynae put her hand out feeling the flakes as she watched her brothers. Feeling left out and rather bold she leaped on top of the two boys and recognized the familiar spinning sensation as the wet grass gave way to an opening into the past.
"Young man, there can be no wrestling in the streets of Salem. Why aren't you in the court house like everyone else listening to the witch craft trials. It is old George Jacobs that is on trial today, and he will surely be hung. That will be more entertaining than a wrestling match in the dusty street.

[The three siblings witness the witch craft trial and hanging first hand.}
*******

No comments:

Post a Comment