Monday, April 13, 2009

My Four Grandmothers

Four Gramdmothers

As I was growing up, and as my children were growing up, we liked to read stories together of the pioneers and early days, to get to know how things were done and how people acted. I always thought as I read them, how lucky they were to have lived in times so different from ours so they could write about them and have interesting things to say.

Through the years, I began to see that the changes in our lifetimes have been interesting, and the differences between my mother's world, and my world, compared to my children's world and their children's world are wonderful and indeed worth writing about.

In my family, our ancestors came to North America as early as l570 from the Canary Islands, near Spain, and early l600's my fathers family came with the early pilgram fathers. One of our earlies anscestors to live in the new Americas was George Jacobs, who lived in the Massachusetts colony of Salam and was actually hung for witch craft during the Salem Witch craft trials (see internet and there is a movie , The Crucible,about that time. That is another story and is recorded in history (and on this website). From there the Jacobs spread across the territories and into the west where my father was born in South Dakota in l907. His father and mother were ranchers as their parents had been, and they had helped to settle the territories. From Dakota to Texas came my father and his father and from there to Arizona.

My grandmother brought with her from Dakota a wooden chest that had been made for her mother from her mother's wooden dining room table. That chest was given to my Aunt and she gave it to me and I gave it to Jenny. It is a symbol to me of the sacrifices and the courage of my forefatahers.

I have nothing of my Mother's parents. They died when she was a baby. Mother has her mother’s baby picture with her triplet siblings and a wedding picture of her parents. But I bestow upon Lynae, my youngest daughter, the momentus title of "the youngest daughter, of the youngest daughter, of the youngest daughter, or the youngest daughter, who was born a triplet at birth.

Mother's people were among the very earliest settlers of the New Mexico territories, and were citizens of Spain until their lands came to be in the United States territories. Their influence through out the history of the west is great and it is a great heritage as is my fathers'.

I do not have as some the stories of emigrants from other countries, but of western settlers the earliest of citizens of the United States of America.

All I have of my grandmothers' is what my uncles and aunts have told me over the years. I want to leave something for my grandchildren and so I am writing this book as a letter to my grand children. Maybe someday they will give it to their children and their children's children, and know that although our lives might be very different, there is a courage and a pioneer spirit that runs strong among our family

So my dear grandchildren, this is for you from your Grandma Lynda.

See Turn the Hearts of the CHildren Volumes I and II, and also the blog "Lickin' and groomin' for a DNA genealogy of our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment